June 14, 2009

KIM, DAN & KENZI_PART I

The first time I talked to Kim on the phone, we spoke for over an hour. I knew immediately that her and I would be friends, whether she hired me for a job or not. We talked about a mutual friend of ours, we talked about family, our work, our passions, even our cell phones. We talked about any subject that popped into our heads. Our conversation was full of laughter and girl talk, as though we had known each other for years. I had definitely made a new friend that day.

Later the same week, Kim contacted me about doing a family shoot for her. Although she lives in Ohio, she was planning to vacation only a couple hours from me. I was super excited about the opportunity to photograph her family. We probably talked four or five more times before I would actually met her face to face. The morning of the shoot, I left Savannah in a monsoon of rain and thunderstorms. I immediately started praying that the skies would clear up. I knew Kim had been nervous about the rainy weather all week, but I assured her I would get some awesome photos...come rain or shine. Thankfully, the rain subsided and I was blessed to shoot under a photographer's dream of overcast skies. It was a beautiful day with a beautiful family.

This is Kenzi. She is a small kid with a large personality. I love this photo of her holding her Dad's hand.



This is a photo that makes Kenzi appear to be more grown up than she is. I would call this one "sassy"...just because of the attitude Kenzi is giving here.



We found a really cool tree and although Kenzi had her own agenda, I was able to get a couple of photos.




We did get a light rain shower and decided to take a break under a close building. Although I wasn't that excited about the brick wall in the background, I was excited about these photos. Kim was tickling Kenzi and she was laughing so hard. Her expressions are hilarious and Kim's expressions are just as entertaining. I love the laughter these three were sharing.



I love this series.



After all the tickles, we go back to a more serious side.



Yea...it stopped raining.



I am not sure if Kenzi wanted Daddy's hand off Mommie, but it was too funny watching her try to push it away.



When we were walking down to the beach, Kenzi tripped and skinned her knee. Most kids would have been screaming and crying, but not Kenzi. She just got Kim to kiss her boo-boo and we went on to take some photos.



Of course it did take a little coaxing to get her back into the spirit. I love this photo, it's almost like she is saying "Ahhhhh, must we take photos right now?". Kenzi made me laugh so hard during our shoot, little kid...big personality!



It only took a few minutes and she was pointing to my camera. I tried and tried to get her to say "cheese"...I repeated this word constantly and she refused to cooperate. However, when we got back in the vehicle and Kim strapped her in, she looked right at me and said "CHEEEESSSEEEE". We all laughed. She is already a pint-size comedian.



Photos on the beach are always some of my favorites.







As I was shooting, a dog ran right past us. Kenzi was missing her two doggies, so this made her happy. I think this dog had the coolest tail.





Some of the images, just really make Kenzi look so grown-up. Yikes...sorry Kim, I know you want her to stay small. Ha Ha. LOL.



One of my favorite shots of the day...



Kenzi found some great shells.




I love this image with Kim and Kenzi.



Stay tuned for some more photos with Kim, Dan and Kenzi.

7 comments:

Al Quackenbush said...

What a cute family! And love to comedian remark. I don't even know her and I can picture her saying "Cheeese"! So funny! Sounds like you really hit it with their family. They look fun and down to Earth and yes, that dog has the coolest tail! It was funny, that's the first thing my eyes went to! Nice job, Cassandra. Must be taking vacations (or going to Key West) brings out the best in photogs... so we are just going to have to vacation. :)

Mama said...

Angel, What a lovely, lovely family and little Kenzi is just PRECIOUS !!! Love all the shots, especially the boo-boo one. What an amazing tree. Great Job --- God Bless

Anna Johnson said...

Wow, these are great. I mean really GREAT!

kymberli q. said...

OK, Cassandra...I seriously have soooo many favorites that I can't name them all. This is one of my FAVORITE sessions of you. So many images made me tear up. You captured this beautiful family wonderfully! GREAT job, girl!!

Jackie Beale said...

that's a great beach session cass! Very fun and lifestylistic ;D

Nicole said...

Smart enough to know that I want to be a photographer haha. Ok, kids seriously have the cutest clothes these days! I LOVE the shots on the beach. What a beautiful family! Nice work!

Cristen said...

Um WOW! The color is amazing! You are so talented girl!! I have no idea how these parents are going to possibly choose their images! There are just too many good ones!!