March 12, 2008

JENNIFER'S PREGNANCY

My first pregnancy shoot...nervous? ABSOLUTELY! I have snapped photos of friends who were pregnant and it was always very casual. But to be hired by a friend and one who is a part-time photographer was not only intimidating but very nerve racking. As I walked into the living room of Jennifer & Nick's home I was overwhelmed with the massive black backdrop that now filled one complete wall and corner. I had never used a backdrop when shooting...not once. I have never even considered using one and I could feel my heart pound as I approached the 7 foot wall of darkness. It seemed to cast a shadow over me and the entire room...I just took a deep breath and promised Jennifer I would try my best to get some of the shots she wanted. We collaborated on some ideas and I was constantly trying to get angles or positions that were creative...laying on the floor eye level with her we would start to crack up, hoping the neighbors could not see us. I tried to crop differently and shoot from positions that included climbing on a ladder, on her couch and again laying on the floor. The more stuff I shot, the more it seemed to grow on me...the more I liked what I was getting.

Jennifer was a little more than two weeks from being due, I know...look how small girlfriend is...uggggggh. ha ha. Seriously, Addison Leigh arrived 19 days after our shoot, weighing in at 7 lbs 8 oz and being 21" long with a head full of jet black hair. Jennifer's face lit up the room through the entire shoot...her anticipation showed through her smiles and laughter. This would be her first baby and she couldn't have been more beautiful, more radiant or simply more gorgeous.





This was a series of facial close-ups I was snapping and my favorite is the last one. This truly shows not only how excited she is feeling about having a baby, but it shows true natural blissful happiness.


Here are some of the "belly" shots I took. I only wanted these in black & white because they are so much more powerful to me. There are several of these below, but it seemed like every shot...the angle & the composition was perfect to me. Every one of these photos speak to me in a different way. Each one gives me a different feeling when I look at them and each one makes me think how precious life is.







Finally, to introduce the proud Daddy. This is Nick and he was not only a great sport when it came to taking photographs, but he also did a fantastic job assisting me. As I began to get some of the last photos of Jennifer,the sun was going down and falling in the windows very harshly. Nick was our "sun blocker". As he held up a large blanket to cut out the light he struggled to peer over it and catch the game on TV. His arms were getting tired, but he was such a trooper and missing part of the game and acting as a photographer's assistant was just a couple things he did for his lovely wife on the day of our shoot. Thank You Nick for being so great, I know when you look back at these beautiful photos of your pregnant wife...you will immediately think, it was worth it! I wanted to get some pics of them together as we went along...here are a couple of my favorites.





Although these next two images are popular shots among pregnant women, I couldn't pass up the chance to see how they would turn out. I especially love this first one. To me, the hands forming the heart shows not only the love these two people share but it also indicates there is a small heart beating inside.


This one I love because it gives you an idea of how much room the little one took up.


Here are some photos we took in Addison's nursery. Baby's always have the best rooms, don't you think? Addison's room is decorated and suited for a small princess...all pretty & pink and customized. I know there will be many bedtime stories read in here...they already have a bookshelf that is completely full.





Here is one of the last photos we took...can you believe Nick is still smiling, guess Jennifer isn't the only one excited about being a new parent. Nick you will be a great Dad!


Thank You Jennifer for trusting me and letting me document this most important time. You are going to be a great Mom and I can't wait to see how you document your little girl's life. My wishes are for the very best for you, Nick & Little Miss Addison. Much happiness to you as you begin your family.

To see more photos of Baby Addison check out Jennifer's BLOG as she has updated it quite often since Addison's birth.


Have a blessed day~cassandra!

2 comments:

Mark Brooke Photographers said...

these are great shots! I love the heart on the tummy.

Unknown said...

Great shots like mark said I like the heart on the tummy