June 28, 2008

SMELL THE GRASS

So I awoke this am to the sounds of lawns mowers blazing (both the push & riding kinds)...blowers full speed...kids screaming as they played outside...the roar of cars passing by, traffic was busier than usual, since it is a beach day here...I awoke to all the chaotic sounds I am use to on a Saturday. I gathered my thoughts and made myself an extra large ice coffee, then sat down to check a few emails. My mom usually emails me daily and this is what I received this am...

Good Morning my darling children...
Just wanted to say Hi and I hope that U have a blessed day. I have been up since 4 AM, got my hair shampooed and am now I'm washing clothes. It is so peaceful and beautiful this morning. I am enjoying all the sounds of nature...the birds are singing & the crickets are singing too. I walked over to the sink & looked out the window. I watched the deer feeding in the yard, not even afraid, so amazing & I just had to thank God for His goodness. Even tho I get lonely, it is just so peaceful here. Know I Love & Miss U....
Love & Prayers Mama

WOW...I stopped and read her email three times & just sat and tried to imagine what peace she was feeling. Then I promised myself at some point today that I would stop work & back away from my computer and take a break. I sometimes get so involved with editing or emailing or internet surfing/researching or visiting favorite websites or checking out my favorite blogs...well you get the idea...anyways, I get so lost in my computer I forget to stop and take a breath for myself. Today my Mom's email reminded me how precious life can be if we just take a minute to stop and enjoy. So that is exactly what I did this evening.

I went outside and sat in the swing, listened to the windchimes and watched the birds. As I sat there looking over the back yard I noticed the green, green grass and how the blades were swaying in the wind. (Our grass hasn't been cut in awhile so it's pretty plush...ha.ha) Anyways, I remembered as a kid laying in the grass at my parents' house for hours...watching the clouds roll by & finding fascinating shapes in them. (I think we all have probably done this.) Well, I also remembered how great that felt, so I decided to go and lay down in the grass. It was a wonderful feeling and even Mocha enjoyed it. He would roll in the tall grass & look over to see if I was watching him...I seriously think he was trying to show me how happy he was. So we lay there, watched the clouds roll by and just smelled the grass. Oh, I know everyone always says "take time to smell the roses" but that would be more like my sister, I'm more of a "smell the grass" kinda girl. And I loved it today. Mocha was so funny, he would twitch his nose & smell & smell & smell. You know a dog's sense of smell is estimated to be 10,000 to 100,000 more sensitive than ours. Well, he was so cute that I ran in the house and grabbed my camera to get a few pics. I just had to share.

It has been a couple very hectic weeks and I am glad I stopped today to catch my breath. I hope each of you take time to "smell the grass" or "smell the roses"...whichever suits you.





Have a blessed day~cass

8 comments:

kymberli q. said...

I LOVED your Mom's e-mail. I love getting e-mails from my Mom too. I also love how you laid in the grass! That is so awesome! And the pictures of Mocha are ADORABLE as usual! Have a great Sunday, Cassandra! And I would KILL for an iced coffee! LOL

Anonymous said...

Angel, Loved your blog, this life is so fast pace until most of the time we don"t even stop to visit with God & see all the beauty He has supplied for our enjoyment. We leave Him out of daily life, just because we don't take the time. If we would only stop long enough we would be able to see Him everywhere. I am so glad that you visited with Him again today. Keep up the good work & God Bless !!! Love U

Anonymous said...

Cassandra: Loved the article on Smell The Grass! Mothers do always say it best, don't they? Mocha is so cute.......Had just checked your blog late yesterday/night but did not see anything new. Just checked my e-mail and saw that you had posted. You do a marvelous job....

Anonymous said...

So cute!

OHANA PHOTOGRAPHERS said...

he is so cute!!!!

Unknown said...

boom baby:) awesome shoot of your baby>>>>>>>> still lovin' your work:) hope ur havin' a great 4th "A MOMENT IN TIME"

Rachel Brooke said...

I bet this was with your ultra-creamy 85mm 1.2, huh? So jealous! :)

Al Quackenbush said...

I am so smiling right now because once I read the post I knew I was doing the same thing. My mom is a lot like your mom. She sees God in everything and tells me all the time, but sometimes (like today) I get caught up in all of the things I really need to do and I get nutty. My poor wife has to deal with me making lists and trying to pack in everything. This will help me just take a step back. Thanks, C!

Al